Friday, March 09, 2007

Angie vs. the Beast: Who Will Come Out On Top?

Some of you already know this, but I am in the middle of preparing a concerto, Concerto in e minor by Edward Elgar, to solo with the ProMusica Arizona Orchestra in May. It's kind of a big deal for me because I didn't get to solo in college and I'll probably never get to do it again, and I really love the piece, so I'm excited for the opportunity. But I've got to tell you, it's the hardest, longest, fastest, highest piece I've ever had to play by myself. Sometimes, this is how I feel about it. (That's me with the red cape and the sword, fighting against unbeatable odds...)

I question: Can I do it? Why does the director want me to play the whole thing? Wouldn't a part of it be just as nice?

Last week I was starting to feel pregnant and was struggling with an intense lack of motivation. "Well, it's time for me to go practice. Hmmm.... I really don't want to practice. Okay. I'm going to go to bed instead." That day I got a practice session in 2 out of 6 days, and they were both short and half-hearted. So I'm writing this post in reconciliation. Now you all know that I really am supposed to be practicing every day (whether you wanted to or not). This week I've done 3 out of 4 days...day 5 isn't over yet. Who will come out on top today? Me? Or Elgar? I may have lost a couple...well, several battles, but I'm determined to win the war.

8 comments:

Danalin said...

I believe in you, Angie! Your talents amaze me and I know that you will 'win the war' and wow the audience in May. Is there any way to videotape it? I would love to see one of your performances; especially this one because it is such a big deal.

I hope you can hear the faint cheers of the crowd to the North and West of you! :)

Mark said...

I have no doubt that Lady Warrior Angie will slay the beast . . .

When things have more distant deadlines (like May), it's sometimes hard to feel the sense of urgency right off the bat. But as that fiery dragon starts breathing down your neck, no doubt your practicing will take on a new ferocity.

To pump yourself up, try talking some trash to your cello. Ask Jeff for some good lines. He's a sweet trash-talker.

Mark said...

I have no doubt that Lady Warrior Angie will slay the beast . . .

When things have more distant deadlines (like May), it's sometimes hard to feel the sense of urgency right off the bat. But as that fiery dragon starts breathing down your neck, no doubt your practicing will take on a new ferocity.

To pump yourself up, try talking some trash to your cello. Ask Jeff for some good lines. He's a sweet trash-talker.

Tyler said...

Angie,

My philosophy on such matters has served me well throughout my life. It goes something like this:

"If you wait until the last minute to do something, then it only takes a minute!"

Good luck!

Tyler

PS Sorry, that wasn't very inspirational, but sadly, anti-motivational things seem to actually motivate me more than the motivational ones. Maybe your brain doesn't work the same way mine does.

Emily said...

Nice comments from the Foster clan. I like the trash-talking bit. I've never tried that with my violin but I think it just might work.
Nange, you will definitely slay the beast. I am full of admiration for you at this moment. And when the final performance rolls around you will have accomplished something tremendous. Where did you find that picture?

Dad said...

Angie,
Margaret and I are so excited that you get this opportunity. Speaking strictly as a lay person when it comes to music (as you all know) I know nothing but what I observe and hear. You are a marvelous talent and I watch you in awe of what you do with a cello. To memorize a 20 minute piece and then perform it in front of a large audience is simply something I can't relate to. However, you are a great talent and tho' being pregnant can't make this any easier, it will make the accomplishment even greater.

Your little guy will be there cheering mom on, so keep that in mind. Just make sure he (or she) doesn't go jumping all around when you are playing.

We are hoping at least Margaret can come down there to see you. We're working on getting some tickets for her.

Love ya and good luck on slaying the Dragon.

Mickey

dwrichy said...

Nange, perhaps I was wrong to not let you and Emily in on the secret earlier. I talk trash to my trumpet all the time! Just jokin'.

I know what it's like to commit yourself to a project large enough to require a lot of attention and effort over an extended period. I guess it's kind of like writing a master's thesis (not that I've written one) - it's something you feel really passionate about, but after a while, you get tired of the project and you just want it to be over.

I guess that's one of the things that makes being human so rewarding - sometimes you just have to be a finisher. It's hard, but when you pull it off, it's very rewarding. Good luck!

Beckalita said...

Nange,
I've been thinking about that comment about things only taking a minute that you put off to the last minute. (Epiphany!) I think he's right. I have NO doubt you'll pull it off, and in hind-sight, you'll be in awe of yourself and think, "I can't believe I did that -- AMAZING!" Mostly, you'll be glad it's over. Go get'em!