Friday, April 06, 2007

Talking!

The other day Cal was holding my hand while we went up the stairs. Half-way up he stopped and I couldn't get him to keep going. He was babbling something, but I didn't pay attention because I was in a hurry to get him to the top of the stairs. My other hand was full of stuff, so I couldn't pick him up. Finally I realized what he had said was, "Shoes.....shoes.....uh-oh..." I looked down at his sandals and his toes were sticking out of the straps. Once I fixed that, he was fine to keep going. It just took me aback how he had tried to put those words together to try to convey something that was wrong. I was pretty excited.

Lately, it seems Cal has had a huge boom of new words. He has started repeating (or trying to repeat) everything we say. I made a list of all the words he uses regularly, and it was longer than I expected:

Baby
Basketball
Again
Amen
Juice
Jesus
Daddy
Mommy
Dog
Birdie
Airplane
All Done
More
Mommy
Guitar
Phone
(which sounds more like "boam..."
but we know what he's talking about)
Draw

Straw
Truck
Stuck
Outside
Cheese
Please
Bubble
No
Yes
Bye-bye
Shoes
Uh-oh
Spoon
Blue

(as in, the cartoon character,
not the color)

Book

Anyway, this is a fun stage for us. It's fun to be able to hear his voice and some of the thoughts going on in his head. It's also nice to have him be able to tell me what he wants or what's wrong. He's just a great guy. Here are a couple more pictures of him being silly.


6 comments:

The Trippy Stevensons said...

Those are very nice words. I have only witnessed ball but it is said with precision :) It's amazing how fast the words start coming

Danalin said...

My goodness...how fast the time flies! Cal is such a big guy now. We are excited to see you guys relatively soon and hear him for ourselves. Max always has a lot to learn everytime he sees Callahan. Walking continuously and talking are next on the list. Although, the walking thing may be checked off the list by then!

Keep the pictures coming always...we love them!

Wendi said...

Really sweet pics, Angie -- I'll second that Cal is getting to be a big guy, and I'll further that he looks a lot like his daddy. I can't wait to see you all again in person this summer, so I can witness the Cal-speak in person!

Emily said...

He's adorable, what else can I say? Peter and Adam will have so much fun with him this Summer. I can't wait!

Mark said...

Language is fascinating . . . the cognitive development that allows abstract sounds to become concrete symbols of communication. All the more fascinating when you see that develop through the eyes of your own child. Cal's a cute one!

Tyler said...

Dana never seems very impressed when I say "shoes" or "ball" or "uh-oh." Why does Cal get all this recognition for something I've been doing for 28 years?

Well, I guess he deserves it because he is really cute.