Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cal's Modern Art

The other day I was frantically trying to get something "important" done (I don't even remember what) when I realized that Cal had dumped out a whole bottle of glue onto this little art project. My initial reaction was horror, but when I realized that most of it stayed on the paper and there was only a little bit on the carpet which was easily cleaned up, I figured, 'Well, why not let it dry? Let's see what happens.' It took about two days to dry and was about 1/4" thick, and when it was done I didn't want to get rid of it because it was kind of a statement on my life:
I just thought it was ironic that a To Do List was what he found to plaster in a quarter of an inch of glue, which is how it feels like it's attached to me sometimes. I just can't shake it off, and it's by far the most hindering force in my life that keeps me from spending time with my kids.

"Mom, will you build a tower with me?"
"Um, yes...I will in a minute. I just have to do this and this, and then one more thing, and then I'll sit down and build a tower."

"Mom, do you want to play this game?"
"Sure honey, but can you wait until I put these things away and put in one load of laundry?

"Mom, will you read me this story?"
"Yeah, but let me just wipe off Monica's face and then run this thing upstairs..."

What the heck is so important about running something upstairs? Anyway, it just feels like I'm always telling him to wait because I'm trying to do all my "important" things.

I'm not saying that housework should permanently be put on hold until our children grow up. I mean, a relatively clean, organized home does create a great atmosphere for family life. I guess I'm just saying that in each little situation, I need to ask myself what is really most important...if my "important" things are more important than the fact that Cal gets older every day, and he can either remember me as a neurotic house-cleaner, or he can remember me as someone who spent time with him, heard his questions, laughed at his jokes, and cared about what kind of person he grew up to be. I sure am glad he dumped out that bottle of glue...it's given me the chance to think about this a little. Who would have known it would have turned into an artistic statement?

5 comments:

Jodi said...

That is so funny! It looks likes it's all ready to be put in a journal or scrapbook =) I feel the stress of everyday life exactly like yours...how familiar it rings! We really do need to take the time to slow down and enjoy them. I find I stress out a whole lot less on days where I separate "kid" time and "chore" time...Instead of trying to multi-task. Now If I could just remember that more often!!
Your children are so beautiful!

Emily said...

Nange, you are right. I did that to Peter just today when he was trying to get me excited about putting markers in my belt loops to be light-sabers and I was trying to order sweaters from Chadwicks.

I am considering myself duly called to repentance. I'm reminded of something I read in the ensign years ago about a mother who was struggling with her young children. Her grandmother came to her in a dream and explained, "You have to PLAY with your children." It's so much easier said than done, I think. But SO important to try to spend time with them on their level.
I had a moment with Adam when mom was here when I sat and played with him and it hit me how happy he was and how rarely he gets that one-on-one playtime with me. Sad. Thanks for the reminder to do better.
Okay, the longest comment of the century will now come to a close.

Angie said...

Yeah, Em--
I was thinking about that Ensign article when I wrote this, just that you had mentioned it when I was out there. Do you know what it was called or when it was in the Ensign? I'd love to find it!

Amy said...

Thank you for this great reminder. Your "quotes" from your life sound all-to-familiar. A neighbor recently made a similar comment to me. She said, "Are my kids really going to remember if our counter was spotless? or if the floor was vacuumed? Nope. They're going to remember if they're mom cared enough to play with them when they wanted her to or not."
We'll all do a little better now, won't we? Thanks again, Cal!

Beckalita said...

What if your counters aren't spotless AND you don't play with your kids? I mean, I was just thinking that if you aren't going to play with them anyway, it would at least be nice to have something clean...anything. My mother-in-law has always been good at reminding me that children grow, and THEN you can worry about things staying clean. Actually, I remember our mom always fretting about what a mess her house was. Even though it was, she still took time to practice with all of us. Guess what? She doesn't seem to have a messy house anymore, and look what she's managed to turn out as far as kids are concerned...some super crafty sisters;).