Wednesday, October 22, 2008

My Crafting High

I'm on a crafting roll! (...So to speak.) Let me explain.

Cal wants a monster-themed party for his birthday, so Jeff and I thought of a couple of monster-related activities that he could do with a few of his friends tomorrow night when we have their families over for dinner. One of these activities (shhhh... don't tell Cal...) is catch a monster, inspired by a children's book we got from the library: The Monster Trap by Dean Morrissey. We thought this would be a good idea only if I could buy or make a monster puppet by the time Oct. 23rd rolled around. Well, tonight (Oct. 22nd) arrived. Still no monster puppet. Our kids were in bed by around 8:30, and at that point I said to myself, "Ange, if this is going to happen, you have to make a monster puppet before you go to bed tonight." (I hadn't thought of how I would do it or anything.) "The rules are...no sewing allowed, and you have to be done by 11:00. All you have is whatever materials you can find in your basement and your trusty glue gun." And this is what I came up with:

So uh, I'm trying really hard to be humble tonight... I mean it's not Sesame Street worthy or anything, but... dang! That's pretty good!

No, totally just kidding! It was more luck than anything else. All I knew was that I was going to start with some green fabric and maybe put some cardboard in the mouth to give it more shape...and imagine my delight when as I was randomly gluing, nostrils
and ears popped out! Anyway, he turned out a lot cuter than I was expecting. Here he is in action:





This experience made me want to get onto my blog and tell you all why I LOVE crafting so much. You know what is great about crafting??? It's taking completely raw materials and turning them into something that can be beautiful or cute or useful or of great entertainment value, especially to children. And you can do whatever you want! There are no rules and nobody's judging the outcome. So that's what I love about it. It does the heart good.
It gives you energy to stay up into the wee hours of the morning. Seriously, this may sound ridiculous, but I've often thought about how if there was another Great Depression or something horrific going on around me, as long as I could craft (which I would probably be able to because all it takes is a bunch of garbage and your own imagination), I could overcome whatever and be happy.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That monster is so cute!! I love it!! You should definitely not be humble on this one, Ange, that's amazing :) Of course, I'm not surprised in the least. You've always had that crafty ability. Way to go, sister ;)

Beckalita said...

Wow! I am so totally impressed! You have great stuff in your basement! JK. You are so creative, not to mention such a great mom. I'm sure your kids have NO idea how lucky they are. Rumor has it that they don't find out until two months into missions/marriage. I hope it's true.

Emily said...

That rocks, Nange. I especially love how you set the rules for yourself and followed them, and still came up with something so adorable.
Peter and Adam loved the video. I especially liked the part about not busting out your pitchfork too soon. Hilarious.
How'd the party turn out?

Laura said...

I think the monster's voice is more impressive than the monster.

cynthia said...

Angie, that's amazing! He's so cute! Could he please make another appearance when y'all come to Utah next time? PLEASE?!?!?