Thursday, May 04, 2006

John Mayer and My Marriage

I was listening to John Mayer driving home from orchestra rehearsal the other night. I listened to most of the songs on his first album, but as usual, the other songs were interspersed with multiple listenings of track 8, "Not Myself." I haven't read into what made ole' Johnny Boy write the words he did, but in my own interpretation, this song speaks to me about being married...about one of the most beautiful and profound aspects of a functional and happy marriage, the feeling of being wanted and needed when you are less than perfect...or when you're being downright dispecable. It makes me think of the many times my own sweet husband has had to wait through my silly fears and insecurities, when it's hard for me to imagine that anyone would want to be married to me. Somehow, miracle of miracles, he must know that "I, in time, will come around; I always do..." I think he is so much more patient "waiting it out while I am someone else" than I am for him. I'm sure grateful for a great husband.

Suppose I said
I am on my best behavior
there are times

I lose my worried mind


Would you want me when I'm not myself?

Wait it out while I am someone else?


Suppose I said

Colors change for no good reason

words will go

From poetry to prose


Would you want me when I'm not myself?

Wait it out while I am someone else?


And I, in time, will come around

I always do for you


Suppose I said

You're my saving grace?


Would you want me when I'm not myself?

Wait it out while I am someone else?


Would you want me when I'm not myself?

Wait it out while I am someone else?

2 comments:

Mark said...

Johnny Boy has made two appearances so far on the Foster Blogosphere . . . maybe we should invite him to be an honorary member.

Marriage is truly a blessing and a challenge. Two people trying to act as one. The art of adapting and loving and compromising . . . how could you ever learn it except through marriage, through a mutual contract or covenant that, in spite of his/her faults, you will still love, honor and respect your spouse?

Reminds me of another brilliant song:

"Even if we stumble or if you fall,
together we shall rise above.
Yes, we shall soar above it all
on the phoenix of our love.
One of the heart and two of a kind,
when your heart beats I swear it's mine . . ."

Two bad this brilliant artist's stinkin' producer won't get off the can and finish the song!!! :)

Danalin said...

I wish that I knew music as well as the rest of the fam. I bet I have heard that song, but now I need to go and seek it out. I love the way that you look at the lyrics. Very poignant.