Thursday, July 30, 2009

Kissing Nap Time Goodbye

Well, I never thought I would say it, but life is a lot easier now that Cal and I aren't always arguing about him going down for a nap! That's right, I gave it up. I never thought I would be able to do it, so I'm pretty proud of myself. Having previously thought of myself as sort of a Nap Nazi, I knew I needed that time to myself in the middle of the day and I trembled at the inevitability of it not being there anymore. But a few weeks ago I started realizing that, day after day, our afternoons were each turning into one long battle that just wasn't worth it. So now I won't even let myself hope that he's going to fall asleep,.. I have to expect that he's going to be awake and with me, and squeeze my stuff in around that. Besides his little body getting so tired every day right around dinner time (hence the picture), the results have been much more positive than I expected. It's helped me be a lot more flexible and remember that... this is life. It's what I signed up for when I became a mom! I have to make a conscious decision not to stress out about "everything that needs to get done" and enjoy the quality time that I get to spend with my son.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

I feel your pain! Lauren stopped napping right at 2 years old and I was panicking. But I've learned it's ok to make her go in her room and have quiet time with a movie/toys while Kristen sleeps and when she bugs me I just remind her that I need my quiet time too! It works well most days :) I've set up our pack n' play in my room for naptimes so Lauren can have her own quiet space since they share a room.
Good luck!

Susan said...

I totally relate to this! I hate the naptime fights! Emma was awesome and napped till she was like 3 1/2. But Becca started giving me trouble even before she turned 2. ugh. I came to the same realization as you did and I just decided to give up fighting Becca for a nap. I've done what Jodi does and both my girls just have "quiet time" so I still get my break, but they don't have to sleep. The positive part of Becca not napping is that since she's still quite young, I've bumped up her bedtime and that is a joy! Being a mother is definitely full of all sorts of decisions and finding what's best for you and your kids to keep everybody sane and happy. I think you are such a good mommy! And holy cow, you're about to have 3!! :)

Adam Jensen said...

So cute!!! Kyler just has quiet time too. I set a timer for like 45 minutes and he plays in his room till the timer goes off. He really enjoys it... lately he has been getting up early, and has been asking to take a nap!? I don't think it will last for long. :)

Jennifer Salmon said...

I love the picture of your boy asleep. It's so adorable.